Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
1. That the 2021/22 to 2023/24 proposed budget strategy, draft revenue budget and MTFS including the income and savings proposals be approved for the purposes of consultation only (where necessary) and that these proposals be referred to the Scrutiny Committee for their consideration.
2. That the proposal be noted to increase Council Tax by 3.99% in 2021/22 (comprising 2% adult social care precept and 1.99% general increase) and by similar levels for 2022/23 and 2023/24.
3. That the remaining budget gap for the years 2021/22 to 2023/24 be noted.
4. That the updated Asset Investment Strategy included at Annex G to the report be adopted and that it be recommended that Council approve the updated Strategy in November 2020.
5. That it be noted that the draft proposals are subject to various consultation exercises, analysis and impact assessments, movements in core funding, specific grants, costing and robustness assessments.
To enable consultation with the public, businesses (s65 of the Local Government Finance Act 1992), stakeholders, staff and Scrutiny Committee to take place.
The budget proposals included in the report assume an overall increase to the level of council tax of 3.99% in 2021/22 comprising an increase of 2% for the ‘adult social care precept’ to be earmarked for adult social care expenditure and 1.99% general increase in the ‘relevant basic amount’. An alternative option could be made to increase its ‘relevant basic amount of council tax’ above these levels, however this would exceed the referendum limits, which would mean a local referendum would be required to be held before any such increase could be implemented. Alternatively not increasing council tax by the level recommended in this report, subject to the final referendum level being notified in December, would increase the overall funding gap by up to £4.17m in 2021/22 which would mean further reductions to expenditure on council services would be necessary.
Publication date: 15/10/2020
Date of decision: 12/10/2020
Decided at meeting: 12/10/2020 - Executive
Effective from: 23/10/2020