Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
(1) That the due diligence currently undertaken, as set out in the report, be noted.
(2) That additional feasibility studies be approved in order to procure professional services to facilitate further project design development (RIBA Stage 2) and further progression of the business case.
(3) That authority be delegated to the Corporate Director of Place to make appointments as necessary in relation to the design development and formulation of the business case to support the proposal.
(4) That authority be delegated to the Corporate Director of Governance and Community Strategy to finalise and enter into any documents required to give effect to these resolutions.
(5) That it be noted that a report will be presented to the Executive following the outcome of the proposed work detailing the proposed next steps.
Implementation of the recommendation will allow the Development Team to appoint a full design team allowing us to develop more detailed technical design and specification leading to a more accurate understanding of the financial implications of the project. Early engagement with the Local Planning Authority will help to reduce the risk on planning issues and assist in developing an award winning design. The development will produce a capital return for the Council which will support the delivery of the Council’s strategic objectives across the Borough.
Do nothing - If no development is to progress the Council will have to deal with the significant lack of investment on the Claremont Centre to allow the TMS to continue to provide a Music Service within the Trafford area. The GMMH will continue to be housed in unsatisfactory accommodation without any formal lease agreement. Or transfer the Stretford Library to the Mall - Continue with the proposed transfer of the Stretford Library to the Mall as currently proposed but then be left with a property that has no proposed use and becomes a concern to the Council. Option to sell the building.
Publication date: 25/01/2022
Date of decision: 24/01/2022
Decided at meeting: 24/01/2022 - Executive
Effective from: 02/02/2022