Decision Maker: Executive
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
(1) That approval be given to the framework and general direction of the Council’s response to the Environmental Statement outlined in the report.
(2) That authority be delegated to the Corporate Director for Place, in consultation with the Executive Member for Housing and Regeneration, to finalise and submit the formal response to the HS2 Phase 2b Environmental Statement.
(3) That it be noted that the submitted response on the HS Phase 2b Environmental Statement will form the foundation upon which any future petition must be based.
(4) That it be approved that Trafford become a Qualifying Authority in relation to the High Speed Rail Phase 2b (Crewe - Manchester) hybrid Bill.
(5) That authority be delegated to the Corporate Director of Governance and Community Strategy, in consultation with the Corporate Director of Place and Executive Member for Housing and Regeneration, to undertake all necessary steps required to become a Qualifying Authority, including the signing of the Planning Memorandum and Service Level Agreement.
(6) That, for the reasons set out in the report, this decision be deemed urgent and not subject to call-in.
To ensure that Trafford’s response to the Environmental Statement for HS2 Phase 2b hybrid Bill can meet the deadlines set by government so that the interests of Trafford’s residents, businesses and environment can be identified and protected and/or mitigated wherever possible.
There are no reasonable alternative options. Responding to the ES is critical to ensuring that HS2 Ltd either a) avoid, b) mitigate and / or c) compensate for the impacts that the construction and operation of HS2 will bring. Not responding will result in the Council having to manage and accommodate its construction and operation without any enhanced mitigation and/or compensation measures. Not responding will also significantly inhibit the Councils ability to effectively petition(s) against the Bill.
Urgent item?: Yes
Publication date: 07/03/2022
Date of decision: 28/02/2022
Decided at meeting: 28/02/2022 - Executive