Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
1. That progress made to date be noted.
2. That the ministerial direction be noted under the Environment Act 1995 (Greater Manchester) Air Quality Direction 2019 which requires all ten of the Greater Manchester local authorities to implement a charging Clean Air Zone Class C across the region.
3. That the need be agreed to continue to proceed towards developing the implementation and contract arrangements of a charging Clean Air Zone in Greater Manchester utilising the initial tranche of £36m of funding as required by the ministerial direction / feedback.
4. That authority be delegated to the Corporate Director, Place to determine the preparatory implementation and contract arrangements that need to be undertaken utilising the initial tranche of £36m of funding to deliver the CAZ and other GM CAP measures, as set out at paragraph 3.11 of the report.
5. That it be noted that the report to determine the timings for commencing the consultation will be received in the Spring of 2020.
6.That the outstanding need be noted to secure a clear response from the Government on clean vehicles funding asks.
7. That it be noted that Highways England have not been directed to act in relation to tackling NO2 exceedances in the same way as the Greater Manchester local authorities, and that this will leave some publicly accessible areas of GM adjacent to trunk roads managed by Highways England, with NO2 exceedances that are not being addressed by the Highways England plan.
8. That authority be delegated to the Corporate Director, Place to agree the final content and submission of the documents listed in Appendix One to the report for formal submission to JAQU and note their Publication status.
9. That authority be delegated to the Corporate Director, Place to determine any further technical reports for formal submission to JAQU.
10. That it be noted that the Executive Member for Environment, Air Quality and Climate Change will co-sign a letter from the GM Authorities to the Transport Secretary asking them to bring forward the launch of a statutory consultation to strengthen rules on vehicle idling.
Publication date: 14/01/2020
Date of decision: 06/01/2020
Decided at meeting: 06/01/2020 - Executive
Effective from: 22/01/2020