Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
1. That the feedback be noted from the recent public and trade consultation on the proposed Greater Manchester Minimum Licensing Standards for Taxi and Private Hire.
2. That it be recommended to Council that Enhanced Criminal Record checks are undertaken as per Driver Standard 1 in table A of the report.
3. That it be recommended to Council that Medical Checks are undertaken as per Driver Standard 2 in table A of the report.
4. That it be recommended to Council that assessments of English proficiency are undertaken as per Driver Standard 4 in table A of the report.
5. That it be recommended to Council that driver proficiency tests are implemented as per Driver Standard 5 in table A of the report.
6. That it be recommended to Council that driver training is undertaken as per Driver Standard 6 in table A of the report.
7. That it be recommended to Council that it approves the Licensed Drivers Dress Code, at Appendix 1 to the report.
8. That it be recommended to Council that it approves the Private Hire Driver Conditions Policy at Appendix 2 to the report.
9. That it be noted that a further report on alcohol and drug testing for taxi drivers will be forthcoming in 2022.
10. That it be recommended to Council that it approves the Private Hire Operator Conditions Policy at Appendix 3 to the report and notes the Appendix 4 proposed amendments to Operator Conditions.
11. That it be recommended to Council that Enhanced Criminal Record checks for Operators and their staff be undertaken as per Operator Standard 2 in table B of the report.
12. That it be recommended to Council to adopt the timescales for applications as per Local Authority Standard 1 in Table C of the report.
13. That it be recommended to Council to approve the development of a common enforcement approach as per Local Authority Standard 2 in Table C of the report.
14. That it be recommended to Council to agree to adopt a common methodology for setting the costs and calculating the taxi and private hire fees as per Local Authority Standard 3 in Table C of the report.
15. That it be recommended to Council to delegate decision making powers as per Local Authority Standard 5 in Table C of the report.
16. That it be recommended to Council that the implementation dates, for standards, policies and procedures contained within this report, be delegated to the Corporate Director of Place in consultation with the Executive Member for Environment and Regulatory Services with consideration of the need to communicate changes to the trade and ensure that processes are in place to ensure the robust implementation of the standards.
17. That the Equalities Impact Assessment, as set out at Appendix 8 to the report, be noted.
The primary driver for this work was to ensure public safety and protection, and to improve vehicle emission standards in the context of the Clean Air and the decarbonisation agendas. In addition, by establishing standards around common vehicle specifications, MLS is an important mechanism that permits the systematic improvements to taxi and private hire service across Greater Manchester and their visibility. The adoption of these policies stands to benefit drivers and the trade more widely as public confidence in a well-regulated and locally licensed taxi and private hire sector grows; they will also contribute directly to better air quality and lower carbon emissions. By establishing and implementing Greater Manchester-wide minimum licensing standards, we can help to ensure that all residents and visitors see these services as safe and reliable, and preferable to those not licensed by Greater Manchester local authorities.
Not to implement the MLS. This would mean that the opportunities for a safer taxi service in Trafford, which are outlined in the report, are missed.
Publication date: 29/09/2021
Date of decision: 27/09/2021
Decided at meeting: 27/09/2021 - Executive