Venue: Committee Rooms 2 & 3 Trafford Town Hall, Talbot Road, Stretford, Manchester, M32 0TH
Contact: Natalie Owen Democratic & Scrutiny Officer
To receive and if so determined, to approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 4th December 2017.
RESOLVED: That the minutes of the Public Protection Sub-Committee meeting held on 4th December 2017 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.
To consider a report of the Head of Regulatory Services.
The Head of Regulatory Services submitted a report seeking approval to consult on a proposal to re-introduce a local area knowledge test and a proposal to raise the level of the English language test for all new hackney carriage/private hire driver applicants.
The Licensing Officers answered questions from Sub-Committee members on the previous test, the procedure before the test was removed, the present waiting list of people who wish to apply for a licence and cross border hiring regulations.
The Chairman sought views from members of the trade who were in attendance at the meeting.
(1) That the Sub-Committee agreed that officers consult on the following proposals:-
· That all those submitting an application for a private hire/hackney carriage driver’s licence on or after the “Knowledge Test” introduction date be required to pass a local area knowledge test as part of the application process.
· That those submitting an application for a private hire/hackney carriage driver’s licence on or after the introduction date are able to meet the language level which has been set for those seeking to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen; or have passed a relevant English Language qualification at a suitable level.
· That those submitting an application for a private hire or hackney carriage driver’s badge on or after the introduction date be granted a dual private hire/hackney carriage driver’s licence (on the basis that the test requirements will now be the same)
(2) That the Sub-Committee also agreed:
· That the Director of Growth and Regulatory Services be authorised to determine the introduction date and content of the knowledge test; and the introduction date of the English Language test.