Venue: Committee Rooms 2 & 3 Trafford Town Hall, Talbot Road, Stretford, Manchester, M32 0TH
Contact: Miss Natalie Owen Governance Officer
OBJECTION FROM ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND GREATER MANCHESTER POLICE TO A TEMPORARY EVENT NOTICE ISSUED FOR OS REFERENCE SJ771867, OUTSIDE PEOPLE BAR AND RESTAURANT, CORNER OF WESTGATE AND ASHLEY ROAD, ALTRINCHAM, WA15 9AY. PDF 193 KB
To consider a report of the Head of Regulatory Services.
The Head of Regulatory Services submitted a report informing Members of an objection from Environmental Health and Greater Manchester Police to a Temporary Event Notice for OS Reference SJ771867, outside People Bar and Restaurant, corner of Westgate and Ashley Road, Hale, WA15 9AY.
(1) That the objection notices dated 3rd August 2023 be accepted as outlined in the decision notice below.
(2) That a Counter Notice to the Temporary Event Notice be issued.
LICENSING SUB-COMMITTEE DECISION NOTICE
Members: Councillor J. Holden
Councillor G. Carter
Applicant: Mr. Adam Hilton
Type of Licence: Temporary Event Notice(s) – OS Reference SJ771867, outside People Bar and Restaurant, corner of Westgate and Ashley Road, Hale, WA15 9NY
Representors: Greater Manchester Police – P.C. J Lloyd
Environmental Health – Mrs. A Acton
Parties Present: On behalf of Greater Manchester Police
P.C. John Lloyd
On behalf of Environmental Health
Mrs. A. Acton – Environmental Health Officer
James Parry – Locum Litigation Lawyer
Joanne Boyle - Licensing Team Leader
Stacey Hilton – Licensing Officer
Natalie Owen – Governance Officer
Date of Hearing: Wednesday 9th August 2023
Time Commence: 6.40 p.m.
Time Terminated: 6.55p.m
LICENSING SUB-COMMITTEE DECISION
The Sub Committee have considered the licensing objectives and they accept the police objection notice & the Environmental Health objection notice to the Temporary Event Notice dated 3rd August 2023.
The Sub Committee have determined to issue a counter notice to the Temporary Event Notice(s) pursuant to section 105 of the Licensing Act 2003.
SUB-COMMITTEE’S REASONS FOR REACHING ITS DECISION
On the 9th August 2023 we formed a licensing sub-committee to consider an Temporary Event Notice submitted by Adam Hilton on behalf of Hilton BevCo Limited who sought to park their mobile horsebox bar across Westgate at the junction with Ashley Road in the centre of Hale on the 3rd September 2023 between 10:00am and 6:00pm for the purposes of serving alcohol.
We have been referred to two sets of representations, the first issued by Alison Acton on behalf of the Environmental Health Authority which objected to the notice on the grounds that:
1. The applicant does not have a street trading licence and would commit an offence by trading on the street in the circumstances described by the applicant, and:
2. That the location at which the vehicle is to be parked would create an obstruction and a risk to public safety.
The second counter notice was received from Greater Manchester Police. On the Chief Constable’s behalf, PC Lloyd states that:
1. The serving of alcohol in open containers to members of the general public would conflict with an existing public spaces protection notice, which prohibits members of the public from being in possession of open containers of alcohol in that locality, and:
2. That the statutory requirement that no more than 500 people can be on the premises at any one time cannot be achieved due to the nature of the public space and the number of ... view the full minutes text for item 1.